Date of Admission: 2004
Tel: +61 2 8023 9026
Fax: +61 2 9231 3320
Areas of Practice
Building & Construction
BSc (Hons in Pure Mathematics) USyd
Llb (Hons) USyd
CME from Harvard Business School
Laina is the inimitable authority on the interplay between construction and insurance law. She authored the chapters on professional liability and insuring risk in construction law in Bailey’s, “Construction Law in Australia”, Thomson Reuters, 4th Edition. Laina has also co-authored “Contract and the Australian Consumer Law”, Federation Press, 2019. The book examines the way that the Australian Consumer Law has modified the law of contract.
Since Laina has been at the bar, she has been briefed on a range of professional indemnity matters defending construction professionals, town planners, pre-purchase building inspectors, real estate agents, financial planners, stockbrokers and lawyers. She has appeared in several significant property and commercial disputes involving guarantees and indemnities.
Laina will utilise the most appropriate means to resolve your client’s dispute. This is likely to involve a combination of court room advocacy and her negotiation skills. Her negotiation technique is based upon the open, collaborative and relationship building methodology advocated at Harvard Business School. Laina used this technique and settled 12 matters in the six months following completion of her Harvard Business School Negotiation course on extremely favourable terms.
- Mann v Paterson Constructions – New Law for Quantum Meruit claims in building contracts, by L Chan & JW Carter
- The Opal Tower is a product – the purpose of product liability policies: Icon Co (NSW) v Liberty Mutual Insurance  367 ILB 110
- Lane Cove Tunnel Collapse & Sinkhole, A forensic review: The Collapse, by L Chan, B Burman & G Kotze
- The Successful Delivery of Infrastructure Projects: A Legal or a Leadership Issue?, Australian Construction Law Newsletter 195
- Class actions and multiple plaintiffs: How many claims do they constitute? Bank of Queensland Ltd v AIG Australia Ltd  355 ILB 55
For further information, please visit www.lainachanbarrister.com